Great video for idea’s:
A beautifully made roof has to be well maintained for it to last longer and avoid incurring massive costs of installing a new roof. A few hours every month will be enough to notice any area of the roof that may need some reinforcement or some minor repair before the damage becomes extensive.
Below are some critical areas you need to look out for on a regular basis to ensure that your roof will last longer:
- Check if any shingles are missing or damaged: If you notice any missing or damaged part of the roof, you will be able to conduct the repairs early enough and this will be less expensive than repairing the entire roof when the damage has extended to the entire roof. A damaged section of the roof is a loophole and through it, the entire roof could be blown off.
- Look out for signs of fungus infestation on the roof: whenever you notice an indication of fungus infestation, put zinc control strips to inhibit their growth.
- If you notice rust on the metallic part of the roof, remove it using a wire brush and re-paint the metal.
- Whenever you notice a collection of debris on any part of the roof, sweep it off to avoid further damage to the roof. If left unattended, the debris will block the drainage system of the roof or provide an atmosphere for algae growth.
- If there are any tree branches hanging over the house, trim them to avoid the risk of having them fall on the roof, causing damages. This will also prevent unwanted animals like squirrels from finding their way to the rooftop.
- Never allow massive accumulation of snow on the roof as the weight could lead to the collapse of the roof. You can use a snow rake to drag the snow from the roof.
- If you notice any stains on the ceiling inside the house, it is a sign that there is a damaged section of the roof that needs repair. This should be done immediately before the damage gets worse.
- Inspect the chimney to ensure that there are no missing or damaged bricks as this could also affect the roof. If you notice any concern, make the repairs before the damage gets worse.
- Roof traffic should be regulated and only the person who is given the responsibility to repair the roof should go there. If traffic on the rooftop cannot be controlled, walkway pads should be installed to prevent people from stepping directly on the roof.
- Do not allow traffic on the room during winter as the roof is weak at this time and can easily get damaged. If possible, repairs should be carried out before or after winter.
- To prevent the accumulation of debris in the gutters, install eaves protectors which comprises of metallic meshed grates.
- Maintain a record of the roof’s inspection and repairs so that any section that requires repairs will not be forgotten. If possible, photos can be taken which will be used to identify any part of the roof that is getting worse and needs replacement.
A good quality roof which is installed by professionals will not require as many repairs as the roof that was poorly constructed and is of poor quality. Regular inspection of the roof will enable you to notice any damage and do the necessary repairs before the damage becomes extensive. A roof that is well maintained will help to maintain the beauty of your home or office and will offer protection to the inner section of the house.
Presented by Ogden Roofers
Snow removal is one of the major hassles in any household. Unfortunately, everyone needs to deal with this especially those who live in the northern climes. However, before shelling out some bucks for a professional snow removal service, you may try using these 6 unconventional yet proven methods in getting rid of all that cold white stuff.
- Table Salt
The use of table salt as a temporary de-icer proves to be effective when used in moderation. Place a table salt in your old socks and rub it over to your car windows the night before. Make sure to firmly rub the table salt over the entire surface. This will prevent hard frosts to form on your car windshield overnight. You may repeat this trick in moderation but not quite often because too much use can cause damage to the car surface. Alternatively, you may also try using a salty liquid such as pickle juice to serve as a spray de-icer. Additionally, if in case you want a long-term use and you’ll be using it for large areas, you may use a bag of salt specifically designed for snow removal.
- Rubbing alcohol
Rubbing alcohol is typically found in your medicine cabinet. But did you know that it is also a great tool to use in snow removal? The trick is to spray your icy windows with rubbing alcohol and then leave it dry using an old towel. This will not only get rid of ice and snow, but it will also prevent your windows from fogging and will leave it streak-free shine.
Aside from rubbing alcohol, vodka, rum or gin could also do magic in snow removal. Simply spray some vodka, rum or gin onto the window with snow and then rub it dry.
- Lukewarm Water
Clear away snow and ice from your door locks, steps, car windows and walkways using lukewarm water. Just simply remove the runoff using squeegee right after pouring the water to prevent additional ice to form. Repeat this process several times depending on the amount of snow build up. However, do not try to speed up the snow and ice removal process by using hot water. This hot temperature will only worsen the situation because it will crack your windows, warp the metal and even crack your concrete.
- Cover it up
You can use a plastic tarp or a canvas painting drop cloth to help in speedy snow removal. If you predicted that a snowfall is coming, cover your porch steps, car, walkways and other affected areas with a sturdy tarp or cloth. In the next morning, simply drag the tarp to the side and then shake the snow off.
A vacuum is also another great snow removal aid. Use the vac in sucking up the snow and dump it on proper place. Alternatively, you can also turn your vac into its “exhaust” mode and then blow away the snow.
- Kitty Litter
For icy surfaces, use a large container of a kitty litter in your car trunk. This will serve as a great source of traction for areas with icy and snowy surfaces. The additional weight can also prevent you from getting stuck. You may also try using birdseed, sand or wood ashes if you do not have a kitty litter.
Make your life easier with the above tips and tricks. Do you have other ideas to share? We would love to hear it from you. Share your ideas by writing in the comment box.
Most people consider a bathroom remodeling as a DIY job. Bathroom materials do not come cheap and the added burden of labor cost looks like an unnecessary expense. You can definitely do small tasks like changing a faucet or installing a bathtub. However, if you are doing a complete bathroom remodeling, it is important to realize that it is a complex job which requires you to have expertise in various departments like electrical, plumbing, tiling etc. Hence, the job is best left to the experts. Many find hiring a bathroom remodeling contractor, an intimidating idea. The following tips would help you get on the right track.
Contractors may not necessarily be designers
There are plenty of bathroom remodeling contractors scattered around in Ogden, Utah but not all of them are designers. Hence, before searching for the right fit, you need to decide if you would like to create the design or have an expert do it for you. This decision will help you search either a plain contractor or one that can design your entire bathroom for you.
Do your homework
You might have decided that you would like the contractor to design your bathroom for you. Still, you must do your own research and get to know the various options available to you. The internet is full of latest news, various remodeled bathroom designs, latest accessories etc. This would not only help you get a real idea of how you would like your finished remodeled bathroom to look like but it would also help you arrive at a realistic budget that you are prepared to spend.
Interview multiple contractors
Choosing a contractor is perhaps the most crucial decision to the success of your project. Do a thorough research and list out a few contractors based on their reputation, experience, skill and various other parameters that are normally employed for selecting any skilled person. However, do not limit your search to just one or two. Select out a few contractors and have a detailed interview with them. Communicate clearly about what you desire and what is your budget. Ask the contractor to furnish details like photographs of before and after bathroom remodels, customer’s testimony and reviews, his expected budget and all nitty-gritty’s of the job before you proceed further. Getting everything on the table before you start will save you from unnecessary hassles later on or at the time of bill settlement.
Supply your own materials
Most of us tend to leave the job of procuring material and accessories to the contractor itself. Try to avoid it and procure the material yourself. You will be pleasantly surprised by the amount you are actually saving in your pocket. Most contractors have their fixed cut on purchasing various accessories and materials of specific brands regardless of its quality and finish. You would not like to fall into this rut and settle for substandard material after paying for super quality. Thus, it’s a smart idea to do bathroom shopping all by yourself.
Bathroom remodeling is no easy task. However, the path can be smoothened out if one takes a few minutes to think research and then moved with cool logical steps. Choose the right Ogden contractor and you would find everything else falling into place smoothly.